Saturday, July 24, 2010

So, I Have Begun Learning Java....



..and I have just stepped into a whole new world...

I am also astounded and amazed at what I am about to learn here. This is part of the curriculum that I'm learning on my way to my IT degree, and can I just pause here and say "O...M...G!"? I mean, seriously, this stuff looks pretty daunting, doesn't it?! Ayyyy! I'm really going have to put my thinking cap on and screw it on really tight. No more Sunday brunches with unlimited frozen margaritas! I need every single brain cell I have to be in perfect working order to absorb all of this intricate code! Oh, and then know what the hell it's doing! Yep!

A brief definition of Java from java.about.com

"Java is a computer programming language that enables programmers to write computer instructions using English based commands, instead of having to write in numeric codes. It’s known as a “high-level” language because it can be read and written easily by humans.


In the early nineties, Java was created by a team led by James Gosling for Sun Microsystems. It was originally designed for use on digital mobile devices, such as cell phones. However, when Java 1.0 was released to the public in 1996, its main focus had shifted to use on the Internet. It provided more interactivity with users by giving developers a way to produce animated webpages . Over the years it has evolved as a successful language for use both on and off the Internet. A decade later, it’s still an extremely popular language with over 6.5million developers worldwide."

I am about to be SO in the loop! I'm too excited! ;)

another example of Java code:

public class Bicycle {

// the Bicycle class has three fields
public int cadence;
public int gear;
public int speed;

// the Bicycle class has one constructor
public Bicycle(int startCadence, int startSpeed, int startGear) {
gear = startGear;
cadence = startCadence;
speed = startSpeed;
}

// the Bicycle class has four methods
public void setCadence(int newValue) {
cadence = newValue;
}

public void setGear(int newValue) {
gear = newValue;
}

public void applyBrake(int decrement) {
speed -= decrement;
}


public void speedUp(int increment) {
speed += increment;
}

}


This that you see above is actually a simple bit of Java code. I've seen a few far more intricate examples that will completely twist your brain into neat little knots. Now, all you veteran coders will look at this and say "oh, how easy". But, Just remember how you felt the first time you were exposed to this, though, okay? You weren't quite so smug and confident, I'm sure! ;)

Not to be confused with Javascript (a fact I also just learned), Java is a programming language used in many devices, both online and off.

This is only my second week into my Java class, and so far I've written my first program (a seriously easy-peasy one!) and have begun learning the specifics of input, output, variables, strings, args, arrays, yada yada yada....

My plan is to lock myself in my apartment and not see my friends for about six weeks. No TV, no phone, but I will still take out a few minutes every now and then to bathe... and order sushi from Kumo. I will completely shut out the outside world and will not leave my place until I know this stuff backwards and forwards.... or until I grow a beard, whichever comes first! ;)


At the end of my first Java programming class I'm going to be able to:

* List and describe problem solving steps and processes.
* Describe the basic concepts of object-oriented programming.
* Design, code, test, and run simple programs.
* Describe the fundamental datatypes.
* Demonstrate how to set up expressions and equations using variables, constants, operators and the hierarchy of operations.
* List, describe, and use the four logic structures: sequential, loops, decision, and case, and use them to develop problem solutions on the computer.
* Explain the use of functions and parameters.

...And after all is said and done, I'm also supposed to be able to create and program a simple, online game. COOL! :D

Wish me luck on my Java journey. It....just....got....SERIOUS!!! I hope I make it. I am pushing for an A.... ;)
All you veteran programmers out there, any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Basic Java fact: ***Java is simple, easy to design , easy to write, and therefore easy to compile, debug, and learn than any other programming languages.*** -- yeah, so they say.... I'm not buying it!! ;)

You can learn some Java, too!:

Java University

* * * * * * *


Want to learn Java but don't have the time or money to invest in school? Here are some easy learning books I've found out about that will provide you with you some Java knowledge:

Head First Java, 2nd Edition

Sam's Teach Yourself Java in 24 Hours

17 comments:

Unknown Sunday, July 25, 2010  

OMFG!

My hat is off to you--kudos to you!

I am a point and click dude. HTML gives me the quivers.

I'll be more than happy to take up your frozen margaritas for ya'

PLU!

William K Wallace Sunday, July 25, 2010  

I'm sure the hard work will pay of big time for you...But don't worry I will have a load of frozen margaritas, during happy hour at weekend for you...

plin Sunday, July 25, 2010  

Welcome to the world of Java!

The Headfirst series is definitely the way to go if you want to learn any programming concepts!

The Fitness Diva Monday, July 26, 2010  

Thanks, guys, and thanks, Plin! There are a ton of books on the subject, so a recommendation always helps! ;) I've heard a ton of good reviews on the Head First series.

BK Tuesday, July 27, 2010  

You just brought back the programming memories I had back in college day; nightmares and yet fulfilling when you finally got the program running. Debugging could make one mad. All the best to you!

vange Tuesday, July 27, 2010  

You gave me brain freeze faster than ice cream could! Don't ask me for help on your homework. I'll help you eat sushi, though. What're friends for?

Peter Camp Wednesday, July 28, 2010  

Hello Sir/Madam,

I visited your website when I am searching for web. The information is very much standard and presentation of pages is very legible. My site is also about weightloss camps, weightloss retreat, boot camp vacation, weight loss bootcamp.

If you give my links on your site it will be useful for both of us. Your site contains much other information that gives more knowledge and many more ideas about the topics you have given in your site.

The Information present in your site is very informative and it gives a wide knowledge about many things. I was very much impressed with your site. Its guide me more.

Our Site Information:

Title: Weightloss Camps

URL: http://www.camptechnique.com/

My Email Id: peter.camptechnique@gmail.com

If you have any questions please feel free to email me and I will respond promptly.

Let me know once you added my link.

--
Thanks,
Peter camp

Manchild Wednesday, July 28, 2010  

Congratulations Yvonne!!!

I'm so very proud of you! Go for it!

Manchild

Manchild Wednesday, July 28, 2010  

Congratulations Yvonne!!!

I'm so very proud of you! Go for it!

Manchild

The Fitness Diva Thursday, July 29, 2010  

thanks, you all! Plin, I just bought the book "Head First Java" today, and it is a scream! I'm sitting there on the train and out of nowhere I'm LOLing, it's so damn funny! That will definitely help me keep focused and get this damn stuff down! ;) I also bought a more "stuffy" yet helpful Java learning book to compliment Head First (I'm a book junkie, too....give me an excuse to buy a book on something, and there my money goes!).
I'm cocked, loaded and ready to tackle some Java! :)

stevebethere from bethere2day Saturday, July 31, 2010  

I am sure you will do brilliantly i your bursting enthusiasm shows it.;-)

Good luck with it all

Steve

Guild Wednesday, November 03, 2010  

Just as you started to learn java, I started to learn C# and it is a really powerful language for creating web forms applications. Congratulations on your java learning.

The Fitness Diva Wednesday, November 03, 2010  

Thanks, Guild. I would like to eventually learn one of the C languages also. I had no idea there were so many computer languages, but I think that Java, C++ (or sharp) and Python are good ones to know. Hopefully I can eventually get to know them all.
Good luck to you with your studies as well! ;)
thanks for commenting!

Donald Saturday, November 20, 2010  

Java is a very fun language to learn. You can do amazing things with it. So what is your main focus in Java scripting?

Marco,  Wednesday, December 01, 2010  

I am sure you will like Java more once you get more efficient.

Damien Wednesday, December 01, 2010  

I agree Donald on this, Java is fun to learn. The possibilities are limitless.

  ©Blogger templates

Back to TOP