Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Math Diva??



So, It turns out that I love math. Who the hell knew? It took me going back to school after all these years to discover this. I have evolved for sure, because math absolutely was nOT one of my favorite subjects back in the day. Math was one of those classes that I performed just well enough in to pass. I didn't exactly suck at it, but I know I didn't enjoy it. I was an English, Creative Writing and Biology girl. Top of the tops in those classes. But math? Hell to the no!

Being back in school and now suddenly being faced with some serious, high level algebra, I actually had to go back and relearn a few basic things just to be able to do the equations and problems now being presented to me. It was quite shocking to me to discover how much I'd forgotten over time when it comes to math. It's true what they say, "If you don't use it, you lose it!". With math, this is true big time!

To catch up quickly, I kept my head stuck not only in the college level algebra books for my course, but also a pre algebra book at all times. The pace of the class was so fast, I actually had to live, eat and sleep algebra. It was crazy! I took any spare moments I had to work through matrices, graphing, equations and inequalities. Relearning how to factor and also to deal with decimals and fraction laden math problems. Holy shit, who in their right mind invented all this crazy math???

Along the way of remembering old things and learning new ones, it dawned on me -- I actually enjoy doing math, especially algebra. Could have knocked me over with a feather! ;)
I will now actually whip out my books and handouts and do various algebra problems in my spare time. Don't tell anybody! D Telling people you want to go home and just do some math doesn't go over that well, and folks do begin to think you're a bit strange.... ;)

I'm so inspired by my newfound love of math actually, that I now want to build a really cool math website in the near future where math nerdies like me can come and find all types of cool stuff to do, problems to solve and things to practice and also to challenge ourselves. By the time I get my IT degree, I'll hopefully be able to create the applications and programs that I'd like to have on my math site. Now, who the hell saw THAT coming?? Me, not only a future software designer and developer, but also a budding, wannabe mathematician! Just goes to show you that you never know what might happen when you decide to walk through a whole new door. I would never in a million years even have BEGUN to have such thoughts and plans had I not gone back to school. Going to school because you want to and not just because you have to is a totally different animal and can really teach you more than just the subjects at hand.


2 comments:

Dori Wednesday, July 14, 2010  

This is great! You know, I was never that great in math either, perhaps I should give it another whirl ;-)

Bravo to you in learning all these new things :-)

The Fitness Diva Saturday, July 24, 2010  

Thanks, Dori! I refuse to let this brain turn into Swiss cheese! ;)

  ©Blogger templates

Back to TOP